Calendar Sync creates an iCal feed that can be used to show your MD HQ schedule in other major calendar software, including Google Calendar (via computer or on Android phones or tablets), Yahoo! Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, and iOS devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad). Once you've added the iCal feed, your MD HQ schedule will be viewable in the external calendar program and will automatically update to reflect scheduling changes in the EMR.
*** Note that most calendar programs are not HIPAA-secure, so you will want to keep this in mind when adding information that will be transferred via sync to an external calendar. The information that is transmitted by via the calendar sync is the appointment title, type, and day/time, as well as the patient's name or initials.
The iCal feed is uni-directional, meaning that you can view your MD HQ schedule, but any edits made in the external calendar will not show up in the EMR and may be overwritten by the iCal feed (or you may be prevented from making edits on that end).
Only events that apply to you in the EMR will be transmitted via your iCal feed.
Getting a Link to Your iCal Feed
The first step is to get a link to your personal iCal feed. To do this, go to the Scheduling drop down menu in the EMR and click on Calendar Sync URL. This will generate a link your personal MD HQ calendar. Copy this link and provide it as the calendar source when prompted by your calendar program.
Adding your iCal Feed to iOS Devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.)
- Launch the Settings app
- Tap Accounts & Passwords
- Under the Accounts section, tap Add Account
- Tap Other
- Under Calendars, tap Add Subscribed Calendar
- Paste in your calendar link in the Server field (tap and hold the field, and select Paste)
- Tap Next
- Use the Description field to give the calendar an easily-recognizeable name
- Enter a server username and password if required (generally not required)
- Tap Save
- On your iOS device, go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Add Account
- Select Other -> Add Subscribed Calendar
- In the Server prompt, paste in the URL of your personal calendar feed (see How to Get a Link to Your iCal Feed, above)
- Touch Save
Adding your iCal Feed to Android Devices / Google Calendar
For Android devices, you simply need to add the calendar to the Google account that is associated with your phone/tablet. To do this:
- Using any device, go to your Google Calendar: https://www.google.com/calendar/
- On the left side of the page find "Other Calendars" and click the small arrow to the right of the text
- Select "Add by URL"
- In the "Add by URL" prompt, paste in the URL of your personal calendar feed (see How to Get a Link to Your iCal Feed, above)
Note: Google Calendar does not synchronize as often as other calendars, so new events and edits to existing events in the EMR may not show up in your Google Calendar for up to 24 hours.
Adding your iCal Feed to Microsoft Outlook
Note: the instructions are different for different versions of Microsoft Outlook. This website has information for the various versions.
Adding your iCal Feed to Yahoo! Calendar
- Go to https://www.calendar.yahoo.com/ and sign in with your Yahoo! username and password.
- Click the cog next to "Subscribed" in the bottom left side of the screen.
- Select "Subscribe to Other Calendars".
- Give the calendar a name (MD HQ Calendar, e.g.) and paste in the URL of your iCal feed (see How to Get a Link to Your iCal Feed, above).