The Billing Info tab in the Patient Information block allows you to manage the patient's billing details, including their saved payment method(s) on file, billing address, billing group, and a "Bills are paid by" relationship.
- Choosing an Integrated Merchant Services Partner
- Add a Payment Method for a Patient
- Bills are Paid by Another Patient
- Subscription Billing with Bluefin
- Subscription Billing - Stripe
- Billing for Group or Corporate Accounts
- Grouping Family/ Small-Business Subscriptions - Bluefin ONLY
- Options for Insurance Billing with Cerbo
Note: any functionality related to adding/ saving payment information for a patient or designating a subscription plan in their Billing Info, relies on you having integrated merchant services through Cerbo.
To open a patient's Billing Info, click on the pencil icon at the top right of their Patient Information block, and then on the Billing Info tab.
Add Credit Card/ Payment Method
Add a new payment method - credit card or bank account/ ACH if you use Bluefin and have an ACH account set up - by clicking on "Add new payment method" and entering details in the fields provided.
You can click the star icon to mark a payment method as the preferred payment method. That will be the payment method used for automatic recurring payments.
The checkbox for "Patient has OKed automatically charging preferred card for future transactions" is meant for internal reference (checking/ un-checking that box doesn't allow/ prevent charges to that payment method).
Enter billing notes for internal reference here if desired. Notes that are added here will appear in the Add Charge or Add Payment window for that patient. So it can be used for noting something that staff should be aware of when checking out for that patient.
Bills are paid by another patient
Check the box and select payor patient if another patient (such as a parent) pays this patient's bills. This function is only available after you assign a relationship between the patient and the payor in the relationships block on the patient's (or the payor's) dashboard.
- This makes the payor's saved payment methods available to add payments directly in the payee patient's account.
- Less commonly-used option: this also allows you to apply charges/ payments from the payee's account to the payor's, and vice versa. This latter option would only be used in limited circumstances, for example, if you want both the payor's and the payee's charges to appear on one consolidated statement.
For more information, see Bills are Paid by Another Patient.
To set a non-patient as the payor for a patient, you can:
- Add the non-patient's payment method directly to the patient's account.
- Add the non-patient's address as the billing address.
Patient is part of a group account
Select from the drop down menu if the patient is part of a group account (e.g., an employer-provided plan) that is primarily responsible for all or a portion of the patient's bills. For more information, see:
Billing address is different from primary home address
The default billing address is the patient's home address. You can change this by checking the box to indicate that the patient has a different billing address, and then entering billing address information in the fields provided.