You can generate an invoice or receipt for a patient either from inside of the relevant SOAP/encounter note (generally preferred, and required to generate an insurance invoice/ superbill), or from the Billing block on the patient's dashboard page.
To generate an insurance invoice or superbill from inside of the relevant encounter note:
- Click on Reports and then on "Generate Insurance Invoice" to generate an invoice that includes, along with patient and practice information, date of service, etc.:
- All charges in the note OR only insurance-reimbursable charges, plus CPT codes (you elect at the top whether to include all charges or insurance-reimbursable charges only).
- The problem(s)/complaint(s), along with ICD codes.
- Payments are NOT listed as line items on invoices, though any payments that have been added to the note will be reflected in the balance shown on the invoice and the invoice will be prominently stamped "PAID IN FULL" when applicable. To show payments as separate line items, you will want to generate a Receipt instead of an invoice.
- Click on "Save Invoice" at the top to save it to the patient's chart (will appear in the Invoices tab of your Documents block) and share it on the Patient Portal (will appear BOTH in their Labs and Documents tab and their Billing tab). Note that invoices ARE NOT automatically generated and shared for patient visits.
To generate a receipt from inside of the relevant encounter note:
- Click on Reports and then on "Generate Receipt" to generate a receipt that includes, along with patient and practice information, date of service, etc.:
- All charges in the note, plus CPT codes
- The problem(s)/complaint(s), along with ICD codes (you may elect at the top to show/hide ICD codes)
- Click on "Save Receipt" at the top to save it to the patient's chart (you can designate the tab in your Documents block where it should be filed) and you can choose to share it on the Patient Portal or not by checking or unchecking the box.
To generate an invoice or receipt from the Billing block:
You would do this, for example, if you want to include charges/payments spanning multiple encounter notes or added outside of an encounter note
- Click on the expand icon in the upper right hand corner of the Billing block on the patient's dashboard page to open the Billing history
- Check the box to the far left of any charges and payments that you want to include on the invoice or receipt.
- Click on the Manage Checked Charges drop down menu in the upper right hand corner of the pop out and select "Create
Insurance Invoice" or "Create Printable Receipt", as applicable.