Failed faxes are, unfortunately, unavoidable. The system will show any failed faxes at the top right of the Schedule page, along with a brief failure message. The system will also send a notification via email to the email address on file for the user who sent the fax.
To troubleshoot a failed fax:
- Generally, unless the error message indicates an invalid fax number or similar, you would first try resending the fax. To do this, click on the fax to open it, and then click on the Resend option at the top. Then you would delete the "failed fax notification" on the schedule page by right-clicking on it and selecting the Delete option (doing so DOES NOT delete the underlying document(s)). If the fax fails again, you will get another notification.
- If the fax fails again, you can try calling the receiving fax number on your phone to check if it is a valid fax number (you hear a fax tone when you call, not a phone tree, "number not in service" message, busy signal, etc.).
- The longer a fax is, the more likely it is to fail. If you are sending a fax longer than 5 pages we recommend using the fax package feature, this will send the one cover page, with a URL for the receiver to login to download the document. See here for more info
- If you hear a fax tone when you call, it may be worth trying to resend again if the original error messages were busy signals or similar.
- Or, you may want to call the office you are trying to send the fax to, to confirm that you have the correct fax number and there are no issues with the receiving fax machine.
If you continue to be unable to send the fax, after several retries and confirming the fax number by calling it and by calling the office you are sending to, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org, detailing the steps you have taken, so that a ticket can be filed with the fax carrier.
Sometimes ad-blockers, ad-on's or pop-up blockers can interfere with outgoing faxes. Check to make sure ad-blockers such as uBlock are not interfering with the successful sending of your faxes.
Other keywords: fax error