You can share informational video resources with patients as a part of their care plan in Cerbo. The patient's assigned videos will then appear on their encounter summary, as well as under a dedicated page on the patient portal.
- Creating and Managing Alternate Plan Items
- Patient Handouts/Practice Documents
- Signing Encounter Notes & Sharing the Visit Summary
To turn on Video Resources in your build, please submit that request to Cerbo support. Note that this feature is for sharing general educational videos with patients, not recordings of visits or videos that contain any PHI.
Once you set up Video Resources on your build, the corresponding page on the Patient Portal will look something like this (depending on your settings/ preferences):
- By default, the patient will see their assigned videos at the top of the Video Education patient portal page, with a list of ALL the clinic's video resources (all Alternate Plan items with a type of Video Resources) below. If you only want patients to see the videos that are specifically assigned to them, the video library can be excluded.
- The title for the patient's assigned videos ("My Assigned Videos"), and the larger video library ("Other Video Resources") can be changed by request.
- The title of the Video Education page and menu item ("Video Education") can be changed by request.
1. Upload your Videos to YouTube, Vimeo, or Loom
Video resources are not hosted on Cerbo/ in your EHR, but on a third party video-hosting website. Currently, the video resources feature is set up to recognize links to videos in YouTube, Vimeo, and Loom.
2. Add Video Links to your Video Resources Library
Next, you will add a link to each video to the Description field of a custom Alternate Plan Item that you create under Admin > Manage > Alternate Plan Options.
- The type for those alternate plan items should be "Video Resources" or "Video Resource."
- The URL link to the video goes in the Alternate Plan Item's Description field.
- If you add additional text, besides just the URL link to the video, in the Description field (or Instructions field when prescribing it to a patient), that additional text will appear along with the video in their Patient Portal.
3. Share Videos with Patients
Share a specific video with a patient by "prescribing" that video to them via the Plan box of an encounter note. They will then see:
- The link to the prescribed video on their Encounter Summary for that visit.
- The playable video itself at the top of the Video Education/ Video Resources page of their Patient Portal.
Proprietary or Private Videos
If your videos are proprietary and you do not want to host them on public services like YouTube, you can:
- Make the videos "private," which is supported by both YouTube and Vimeo. That setting means that only people with the link to that video can view it.
- Or, if your videos require a higher level of protection (for instance, if you don't want a patient to be able to copy a link and share it with a friend), you can use Vimeo and their "Hide From Vimeo" settings. Set each video to only be able to be streamed from your patient portal URL (or *.md-hq.com). That means that no one will be able to stream the video unless they're viewing it from the patient portal. It's not perfect security (a sophisticated technical user can figure out ways around this), but it makes it much harder for people to view the video without being a patient.
Note that Video Resources in Cerbo are NOT for sharing videos containing PHI, such as telehealth visit recordings. To our knowledge, YouTube, Vimeo, and Loom do NOT have any HIPAA-compliant option.