Patients who already have charts within the EMR are able to set up their own portal accounts (or reset their passwords, if they've already set their account up) from the patient portal log in screen, provided that the following is true for that patient in the EMR:
- Status has not been marked as Inactive;
- Patient portal access is enabled;
- Has a valid email address on file; and
- Has a ZIP code on file
You can also manually send the patient a link to be able to set up their Patient Portal username and password (if they haven't already), or reset their password, either:
- From the patient's chart (so patient-by-patient)
- From the Patient Portal Onboarding Tool (for one patient, or quickly invite multiple patients)
Important Security Note: Because the email link that you send will allow the recipient to set up access to the patient's records via the Patient Portal without a need to enter any confirming information, you will want to make sure that you are sending it to the correct email address, and one which is personal to the patient and not shared with other people who are not authorized to view their medical information.
How to Send a Patient Portal Invitation/ Password Reset Email from the Patient's Chart (Invites Expire in 48 hours)
- Click on the patient's name or the pencil icon in the upper right of the Patient Information block (to the right of the Tag icon) to open the Edit Information pop out:
- Click on the Patient Portal tab and make sure that Patient Portal access is enabled (or click to enable access if it is not).
- Click on the link near the bottom to "Send invitation/reset email" to the email address on file.
This will send an email to the patient with a link in it that they can click to set up their username and password for logging into the Patient Portal (if they've never set this up in the past), or setting a new password.
Using the Patient Portal Onboarding Tool
To send enable Patient Portal access and/or send invitation/reset emails to multiple patients more quickly, you would use the Patient Portal Onboarding Tool:
- Click on Pt Portal > Patient Portal Onboarding Tool to open up a list of all your patients, showing their current portal status in a colored rectangle to the left of their names.
- If the colored rectangle beside the patient's name is RED, Patient Portal access is not enabled. Click on the rectangle to enable Patient Portal access.
- Once Patient Portal access is enabled, if the patient has an email address on file, that email will appear to the right of their name. Click on the email address to the right of the patient's name to send an invitation/reset email to that patient.
- Repeat as needed for other patients on the list.
Manually Set a Username and Password
If the patient does not have an email address, is having difficulty receiving confirmation emails at their email address that you are not able to resolve (for example, by having them white-list @md-hq.com in their email client), or is otherwise having a lot of trouble getting set up via the traditional methods, you can manually set their Patient Portal username and password. To do so:
- Click on the pencil icon in the upper right of the Patient Information block to open the Edit Information pop out.
- Click on the Patient Portal tab and make sure that portal access is enabled.
- Type in the Patient's Username field to set a username, if there isn't one already specified (text will turn green if it's valid and unique).
- Check the box below that to Manually Set Patient's Portal Password, and type in a password.
- Click Edit Patient to save.
- Communicate the patient's username and password to then in-person or over the phone.